HiroshimaSunrise

The online portfolio and whimsical ramblings of Robert James Page

Hmmm.. Part two

The week after I got back, I was really struggling to resolve plans, and get design done, just feeling generally down and uninspired. I was really starting to miss PTA. I don't know why. I suppose after spending a week in such a creative, fun, different environment with loads of awesome people, coming back to the same old deadline orientated, design production line that varsity seems to be right now just felt really empty. Like nothing I was doing was really worth while.

I think about the kind of things the people who presented papers on congress are doing: social housing in Accra, creative arts centers in Kinshasa, Urban Agriculture projects in Johannesburg and do-it-yourself development mixed use buildings in Amsterdam. Architects and anthropologists Heinrich Wolff, Dick Van Gameren, Joe Addo, Liz Ogbu, Hein de Haan, etc, etc, just blew my mind. This is what architecture has to contribute to society! Not green roofed mansions one on top of each other in Mount Edgecomb on Zimbali, or art galleries on Florida Road.

I think I was just in a bit of an idealistic mood. I've still got time before I start thinking about how I'm going to make a real contribution to this work I suppose.

Well here's a taste of what I'm rambling on about. A Day Laborer Station presented to us by Liz Ogbu of Public Architecture, the first of these structure is to be build sometime in the new year. (More info here)

model1

Rendering3Exhibition4
The Day Labor Station, a project of Public Architecture, is a simple, flexible structure that can be deployed at these informal day labor locations. It is a sustainably-designed project that utilizes green materials and strategies and exists primarily, if not completely, off-the-grid. It provides a sheltered space for the day laborers to wait for work as well as greater community amenities and resources. Our design is a responsive one, addressing the needs and desires of the day laborers themselves, as our clients. As such, the structure will be flexible enough to serve in various capacities, including as a meeting space or classroom.

Design1Design2Design3

Pretty awesome really. Things like this really make me want to be an architect.. But right now I don't know if I can be bothered. I think I just need a break.

On another note: I've been listening to the new Paramore album this week. Pretty awesome stuff actually. Give it a listen..
blog comments powered by Disqus